Tip of The Week
Weekly insights for your children. Topics may include: Prevention of Allergies, Baby Food Guide and Signals of a Weak Immune System.
Warming Socks Treatment
Welcome Dr. Jennifer Moss... a Naturopathic Doctor and a new contributing writer to Baby Purity. Dr. Moss will be writing more in the Now You Know section of Baby Purity. Below is a great treatment she has recommended for sinus congestion.
Hydrotherapy is the use of hot and cold water to stimulate the body’s immune system. The immune system’s ‘fighter’ cells are the white blood cells which are stimulated to circulate by hydrotherapy treatments. Enhancing the body’s immune system improves its response to external stresses such as bacteria and viruses.
The warming socks hydrotherapy treatment is particularly effective at relieving sinus congestion at nighttime, thereby improving your and your child’s sleep.
- Ensure your body is warm before starting this treatment.
- Wet a pair of thin cotton socks with cold tap water. Wring out very well.
- Put the socks onto both feet.
- Cover the wet socks with a pair of dry wool socks.
- Go straight to bed and keep the socks on all night – they will dry by the morning – just like magic!
- Repeat nightly until your symptoms have subsided.
How does it work?
Your body’s response to the cold and wet stimulation of the feet is to shunt blood to the feet to warm and dry them. This reflex action shunts blood away from the sinuses thereby decreasing the volume of fluid available to contribute to the sinus congestion. This treatment is a nice alternative to the use of decongestant and anti-histamine medications.